I will not contest 2019 presidential election – Bukola Saraki
President of the Nigerian Senate, Bukola Saraki, has described as false reports that he is planning to contest in the 2019 presidential election.
Saraki’s media aide, Yusuph Olaniyonu, told the Daily Independent on Monday, April 2, that if it was true that the Senate president was planning to run for the presidency, the news would have been in major dailies by now.
He said: “The report is false. If it is true that he is contesting, you would have seen the report it (sic) in major dailies since last week Saturday when the news broke out on social media. But as you can see, there is nothing like that,” Premium Times reported Olaniyonu as saying.
NAIJ.com learnt that The Boss newspaper had reported that Saraki will join the 2019 presidential race.
The dismissed report stated that Saraki was considering adopting deputy Senate president Ike Ekweremadu of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) as his running mate.
Meanwhile, the presidency on the evening of Monday, April 2, said the administration of President Muhammadu Buhari would not join issues with former president, Olusegun Obasanjo over his comments on the Buhari administration.
PAY ATTENTION: Read the news on Nigeria’s #1 news app
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Obasanjo had on Monday while addressing a group of youths who visited him at his country home Abeokuta described the Buhari administration as a failure.
Obasanjo also asked the All Progressives Congress (APC) -led government to stop complaining about the challenges it met on the ground.
However, the president’s special adviser on media and publicity, Femi Adesina, who responded to Obasanjo’s comments in a telephone interview on Channels Television on Monday, said the assessment was not new.
He maintained that the APC-led federal government would keep making reference to the failures of the past administration with a view to guiding against such mistakes in future.